We’re Rick (“Apollo”) and Erica (“Starbuck”), and we’re taking a shot at hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in 2015.
Why those trail names?
- We gave the names Apollo and Starbuck to ourselves while climbing Clingmans Dome, the highest point on the Appalachian Trail. Why? Because nobody else had given us trail names. And because Battlestar Galactica (2004) is awesome.
Where do you get your money?
- Erica was a proposal writer in the product and mission management department of a major aerospace company.
- Rick was a software engineer for a different major aerospace company.
What backpacking experience do you have?
- In 2014 we hiked the Appalachian Trail. Starbuck hiked about half the trail; Apollo hiked all the trail except a few hundred miles of Virginia.
About this website
- Web Application: WordPress.org (the software distribution, not the WordPress.com blog hosting service).
- WordPress theme: Rick created his own WordPress theme, which he unimaginatively titled “jrc” (for J. Rick Child, as the theme is a child theme of the Themezee Courage theme). Rick completed this work while taking time off from the trail due to Erica’s injuries.
- CDN: Cloudflare (free edition, of course)
- Origin server: Raspberry PI 2B running the LAMP stack. All system administration is performed by Rick.
- Internet connection: Business-class cable modem.
- Caching and minification: After struggling to make various WordPress plugins for caching and minification work nicely with Cloudflare, Rick wrote his own caching and minification scripts in bash and Python. These are configured at the Apache configuration (.htaccess) level and transparent to WordPress.